Feminist Friday: How To Be a Lady

March 21, 2014 5:00 pm9 comments

People like to think of feminists as seething, raging women who believe that we should just reproduce asexually and get rid of men altogether. Feminists are generally regarded as a nuisance because we question what most people never even think about. Some feminists do fall directly into this negative stereotype, but the whole point of this is to defy our stereotypes, right? A lot of girls tend to shy away from speaking their mind on issues that pertain to women because they don’t want to intimidate men, who apparently determine our value in this world. My main objective in this column is to let girls know that female empowerment is a good thing. It doesn’t have to mean cutting all your hair off and swearing off men for the rest of your days. Feminism is about empowering ourselves, so why do we have to let anyone else affect our choices?

Too many people focus on what they should be instead of focusing on what they want to be. Being different and unique has started to become a defining characteristic in our culture, which is absolutely a good thing, but somehow we still find ways to ruthlessly judge each other. The person you are is not set in stone. A girl who looks like a Barbie and has always dreamed of being a stay-at-home wife and mother can be just as much of a feminist as some brooding loner chick (me) with huge eyebrows who someday plans on dominating the corporate world. We all have different beliefs and opinions on what does/does not constitute a feminist act, but it would be super if we didn’t attack each other. This is not a contest, people.

You’re probably wondering why you should bother listening to me. Fabulous question. I, dear reader, have had the unique privilege of living in a backwards, male-dominated farming community for the last 10 years of my life. That place fits me like Miley’s latex undies at the VMAs. I was constantly surrounded by girls who were always perfectly behaved and, not-so-coincidentally always being chased by every boy within a 20-mile radius. I would always wondered why that wasn’t happening for me, until I realized that I was man-repellant. I was like one of the stepsisters in Cinderella trying to fit her humungous foot into the tiny perfect glass slipper. The main point I’m trying to make is that no matter what, do what makes you happy. It doesn’t matter if you don’t fall under a certain demographic. Give everyone a hair flip and tell them to write it down that you will continue to remain fabulous.

Tags: