The Bling Ring: A Guide to Jewelry

March 17, 2014 5:00 pm31 comments

I have never been much of a jewelry lover. Whether it’s the tangles of necklaces or the clasps of bracelets, I have found jewelry to be more trouble than it’s worth. However, as I grew into an adult, my appreciation for jewelry has grown as well. I have always loved wearing earrings and because I have three ear piercings in each ear, I can easily display a wide array of ear bling. As far as necklaces go, my style has changed drastically since elementary school. I’m sure all 90’s girls will recall wearing neck chokers and remembering when those were actually considered “in style.”

Nowadays, I’m always searching for an awesome statement piece or a necklace that holds meaning for me. There are a ton of great and inexpensive stores to check out for jewelry to accessorize any outfit. Personally, I suggest Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, and on occasion Macy’s has some good finds. It’s not necessary to spend a ton of money on jewelry, especially if you’re searching for something simple to go with your new outfit. Most jewelry at Forever 21 ranges from 3 – 15 dollars and can make great gifts for yourself or your friends.

Geometric shapes have been on the rise in the fashion world, especially when it comes to jewelry. I just recently bought three pairs of earrings shaped like little triangles in gold, silver and pewter. Something as simple as one shape can be incredibly stylish. After all, staying with the simple is sometimes better than going for the extravagant. Recently, other shapes or symbols have risen into popularity, including the arrowhead and feather. Popular symbols for tattoos( the arrowhead and feather) can be seen in many newer bracelet styles like bangles, pendants, and chains in various stores and on websites. One can’t help but wonder if this arrow trend is courtesy of Katniss Everdeen. Even places such as Anthropologie have picked up on this geometric movement. You can view some of their products here.

I am also a big fan of rings because they can give any outfit that cool funky edge. The double ring is a big favorite of mine. It’s essentially one ring that fits on two fingers. These can easily be found at any of the stores I previously mentioned. Without giving away all of my secret shopping hideaways, I can promise you that there are really awesome antique and unique jewelry pieces out there for very inexpensive prices. I recommend going for gold this season especially with a mix of rose gold thrown in there for good measure. Silver screams classic and timeless while gold screams character and charm.

Although, wearing jewelry sometimes takes a bit of effort, I find that the effort put in is indeed worth it after all. This is a lesson learned over the years but my best advice is to keep it simple with jewelry. Less is usually more. Remember that accessorizing simply accentuates an outfit without distracting from it. For more ideas on rings, necklaces, outfits and more, check out my Pinterest board.

Tags: